Thursday, July 30, 2015

The Usual Grind

It's been five and a half weeks and I am almost getting back to my usual grind. I have run six out of the last eight days, I played volleyball earlier this week and I practised my headstand three times this week. I've also started doing an added squat and ab routine workout in order to make up for the fact that I still have yet to do any Fitness Blender workouts. I know Fitness Blender has tons of low impact options, but honestly, I think I'm still just a little too timid to try because I'm worried I might strain my foot if I don't let it get its full strength back.

All that being said, I still don't quite feel like myself yet. Today was only my first day doing a neighbourhood (concrete/trail) run which finally included some hills and man did it feel way better than taking it easy on the cushiony track across the street. Sure my foot is way more sore after todays run, but mentally I feel stronger. 

I think that's the biggest reason why I've still been feeling so unsettled. Before I hurt my foot, I was just finally starting to feel confident about my body/size again. I was running and working out consistently every week, and it definitely helped my body image perception. I was averaging about 144-146lbs and my legs/butt we're finally tightening up (I have the hill running and HIIT to thank for that). Once I hurt my foot, I jumped back up to 149-150lbs and my legs got all jiggly again. Now that I'm moving again I'm averaging around 147lbs, but the legs haven't quite tightened up yet. It's the high intensity training that I need in order to get back to where I was, but it's the high intensity/high impact training that I am just still too sore to do.

The doctor told me minimum three months before I should be doing any high impact activities (technically running is considered high impact), and it's only been a little over a month since my fracture and there's no way I am going to last any longer. Like I said, I already played some rec volleyball earlier this week which was great to get into, but I definitely paid for it that night and the next day with aches and pains. I'm hoping next week I will be able to stay off track for my running and incorporate even more hills, and if that goes well then hopefully the following week I will start my high intensity workouts again.

It's a long road to full recover, wish me luck!
-Linds

No comments:

Post a Comment