Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Lean Forward into Your Life

It's been a few months since my last completed book, which honestly I am pretty disappointed about because usually in the summer I read at least a book a month. This summer I seem to have just completely lost all reading focus. Granted, I haven't been to the beach as much this seasons which is usually when/where I do most of my summer reading, but I plan to start to get back on track with my reading habits soon. It's amazing how much I miss ink and the written word.

So here we go, book #6 completed in 2015 - Lean Forward into Your Life by Mary Anne Radmacher



Summary:

Essentially this book is a guide on how to live your life. Whether it be adjusting/adapting your emotional, physical, or mental cognizance, this book touches on all those realms. It's filled with famous (and not so famous) quotes, poems, excerpts, etc. to provide new perspectives on various aspects of life. It's filled with life stories and guidance on how to handle various challenging as well as day to day situations.

Review:
Although uniquely written (which I like), this is just not my type of book. I received it as a gift for my birthday this year and to be honest I struggled to get through it. It took me about 2.5 months to get through the first half of the book, however once I sat down and powered through, it only took me a day to get through the second half (i.e. it was an easy read). I think it's safe to say that I am just not interested in these borderline "self-help" books. I would much rather create my own lessons and develop perspectives on challenging topics from reading fictional character struggles, etc. I get very resistant and deterred when I feel like a book is "telling me what to do", and unfortunately that is exactly how I feel about this book. "Listen Hard, Live with Intention and Play with Abandon" - this is written directly on the front cover. Sure it's all great advice, but I want to develop those thoughts on my own based on reading the struggles throughout the book.


I do however, think this would be a
good read for adults that have maybe struggled gaining perspective on a life crisis and need some direction/guidance. It is a motivating book if you can get past the forcefulness of it.

Quotable Moments:
"Live boldly, not loudly. Not at the highest volume on the dial, but dialed to the best reception." pg. 23


"In the long run, men hit only what they aim at." pg. 71

"Just because a think is handed to me does not mean it must be grasped by my hand." pg. 76

"most of the things which seem so significant aren't.
don't take it personally -- it's not usually about you." pg. 109

"Everything I needed to know in life I learned skinny dipping in the Negalem River as a youngster." pg. 116

"Say thank you when you are complimented. Do not disagree or correct. Respect the opinion that has been expressed by responding graciously." pg. 129

"So many people bore me rather than interest me. I find quick judgment natural." pg. 173

"What could you learn about yourself today if you had maintained a list of the books you had read since childhood and the main lessons that each of those books contained,..." pg. 208


How do you feel about the almost-but-not-quite self-help type books?
-Linds

No comments:

Post a Comment