Monday, October 6, 2014

Bump, Set, Spike: Volleyball Terminology

BUMP SET SPIKE


So I thought I would take this opportunity to be somewhat informative instead of just conversational.

Whether it's your first time out on the court, or you've been playing for years, I find there always seems to be some sort of new lingo on the court. Whether it's a system of play, or just a new term for a kill, the terminology always seems to be beyond me.

So let's start with some of the basics, and probably some of the most commonly heard terms (please keep in mind, these are just my interpretations of the terms after having played for about 13 years):

Bump/pass: Passing the ball from your forearms


Set: Directionally passing the ball with minimal contact from your fingers, to set up an offensive attack.


Spike/hit/attack: a ball contacted with force on the offensive with the intention of having it land on the opponents court, or off the block.



I will definitely post more volleyball related terms in the future, but I just wanted to start small and get the basics going.

Feel free to submit any terms that you've heard and are looking for an explanation on, I'll do my best to provide some clarification. :)

-Linds

No comments:

Post a Comment