Friday, July 15, 2016

Sweet Potato/Quinoa Patties

I've recently discovered a new recipe using a food I loooooooove.

I absolutely love eating sweet potato, in pretty much all forms: baked, mashed, fried, etc. So, the other day, I was trying to figure out what kind of meal I could make starring the sweet potato instead of keeping it as a "behind the scenes" side dish. 

Then I discovered this: Sweet Potato/Quinoa Patties

I didn't end up using 1 recipe in particular off of pinterest, but instead took inspiration from a few, and decided to just wing it.  

Here is how it went:

Ingredients (Makes about 8-10 patties):
-1 can cubed sweet potato (drained well)
-2 eggs
-1 & 1/2 cups of quinoa (pre-cooked and well drained of moisture)
-1/2 to 3/4 of a large onion
-2 cloves of garlic
-1 tsp-ish of chili powder
-3 to 5 tbsp flour
-drizzle of oil to coat frying pan

Directions:
-Combine all ingredients in bowl (I add the flour last to help soak up any leftover moisture)
-Mix thoroughly (it'll still be a bit chunky because of the onions)
-Coat frying pan with thin layer of oil and heat well
-use 1/4cup size to scoop portions of mixture into frying pan
-Cook until golden brown, flip, continue cooking until other side is golden as well (about 4 to 5 minutes per side).


I was really pleased with myself for just winging it on a recipe I had never tried before, and it was a major bonus that they turned out delicious! Mark and I each ate about 4, and ended up dipping them in sirracha sauce to give em a little extra kick of flavour! Now granted, they definitely weren't filling enough to be an entire meal on their own so we had a salad on the side, however these would be more than enough for a little afternoon snack when you have a starch heavy craving (ie. me after my workouts). 

I plan on next time making a bigger batch, and seeing how well they freeze so that I can have an easy ready to go snack. 
-Linds

No comments:

Post a Comment