Wednesday, May 4, 2016

What's your thing?

It seems like out of everyone I meet these days, guys, girls, couples, etc., everyone seems to have a defining quality about them. There is something that sticks out so strongly that if anyone mentions their name, you immediately recognize them because of that particular thing. I'm not simply referring to physical qualities here, it could be something like a hobby or career they are known for too. 

So, that has me wondering...what is my thing, or do I even have one? Also, is it good to be known for just one defining quality....what's the saying: "jack of all trades, expert at none"?

I've always thought of myself as a relatively well rounded person but, the more I think about it, the more I realize that I am limited in the interests I pursue. I play volleyball, I jog, I workout, I read, I write, I play boardgames, I walk, I hike, I play with my dog... Although that list may seem like it has a lot of items, they are all very similar in the category under which they fall. On the other hand, I don't think I'm known particularly for just one of those items. I would love to be an expert at volleyball, or the most physically fit/toned as possible, or spend my days searching for new mountains to hike because I was running out, or be the champ at all boardgames however that just isn't the case. I simply do a little of a few things that all are very similar in their classification. 


How do you decide if this is a good or bad thing? Is it good to have a "defining quality?", and if so, how do you choose what you want that quality to be?
-Linds

No comments:

Post a Comment